Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 8 Poem: To City Girl (My best friend)

Yesterday Poetry Prompt challenged the poets of OctPoWriMo to write about their best friend.  So I did write about mine.  Since I already posted a poem yesterday I'm posting my best friend poem today.

 To City Girl
 
First
we didn't talk much
Roommates thrown together by a computer
because our initials are both A.G.
Yes, no and simple answers to basic interview questions.
 
But then
I decided what the heck
and sat on the ledge of our second story dorm room,
you sat with me,
watching students cross the red brick quad.
 
Up all night,
talking about boys,
Giving them ice cream flavors nicknames,
like Ben and Jerry,
Pecan Pie, and Turtle.
 
I miss those days,
But I still talk to you over the phone about boys,
still giving them crazy nicknames,
like Brownie Boy,
Video Game Guy. 
 
I miss you,
I need to visit you, City Girl,
Your Good 'O County Girl best friend.
 
By Annie Laurie Gray
 
 
This poem is for OctPoWriMo 31 poems in 31 days.  Check out the blog and see what today's poetry prompt is.  or to enter and join us in the poetry journey for the rest of October. And now here are the other poets who wish to share their poems with you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Reminds me of my college BFF. She lives in Florida now. I miss her too. You perfectly captured that feeling.

    ReplyDelete